Extend your farm management and agribusiness skills to provide leadership and strategic direction. This course is designed for individuals working in a range of agribusiness leadership or consulting roles.
The Advanced Diploma of Agribusiness Management is designed for experienced farm managers who would like to further their decision making and strategic planning skills. There are no prerequisites, however some course entry requirements do apply, see below for more details.
This qualification reflects the role of individuals working in a range of agribusiness leadership or consulting roles. The role reflects the need for agribusiness specific expertise in planning and analysis, managing supply chains, financial and human resource management together with an emphasis on return on investment.
At this level, workers utilise significant theoretical agribusiness knowledge and provide leadership and strategic direction across multiple enterprises.
Agribusiness leaders and consultants analyse, design and execute judgements using wide-ranging technical, conceptual and managerial competencies. Their knowledge base may be highly specialised or broad within the agribusiness field. These individuals are often accountable for group outcomes and for the overall performance of agricultural or horticultural production enterprises.
- Enrol at anytime
- Take up to 2 years to complete in a self paced online format
- Spend just the time you need to understand the materials - not affected by other students working faster or slower than you need.
Your learning time includes not only the time you spend working on the course materials, but also your time for reflection and thinking about what you have learned as you go about your normal activities. We estimate the total learning time may be up to 20 hours per week for some students. Of course, this will vary according to your existing skills and knowledge.
COURSE ENTRY REQUIREMENTS:
- Be actively engaged in farming/ horticulture, or have ready access to and knowledge of a farm/horticulture business which can be used for completion of assessment tasks. As a guide, your chosen farm should show these characteristics:
- Operated as a business for profit
- Have a commercial scale
- Have agricultural enterprises such as commercial crops or livestock
- Be close to where you live so you can be physically on it regularly (eg weekly)
- Be able to provide you with details of past production, management processes, costs, prices etc. Advanced Diploma units will require access to past financial records.
- Have access to a computer with at least Windows 7, Word 97, Excel 97, Adobe Reader and satellite broadband internet connection or similar. If you have a Mac computer, we suggest you talk to a computer technician about installing the Windows environment.
- Basic computer skills e.g. use of internet, email, basic word processing skills
- Completion of Diploma or equivalent and be able to demonstrate at least three years relevant experience. All students complete a literacy and numeracy test as part of our enrolment process.
RECOGNITION OF PRIOR LEARNING (RPL) & CREDIT TRANSFER
RPL is a process which assesses your existing knowledge and skills gained through work or prior study. You can do part, or all, of your Advanced Diploma by RPL. You can apply for RPL at enrolment or at any time during your course.
If you have done previous accredited training in any field we may be able to offer you direct credit transfer for units in this course. Contact RuralBiz Training if you think this applies to you.
You'll be supported all the way in your course. Your team will include:
- Your trainer
- Your Guardian Angel - your mentor and cheer squad who helps resolve any issues related to your progress
- LLN specialist - helps students who want a hand with reading, writing or number work, particularly in assessment tasks.
Your trainers are well qualified, practical people who are managing their own farm businesses or providing services to farmers.
To achieve this qualification, competency must be demonstrated in:
- 8 units of competency:
- 1 core unit plus
- 7 elective units
Elective units must ensure the integrity of the qualification’s Australian Qualification Framework (AQF) alignment and contribute to a valid, industry-supported vocational outcome. The electives are to be chosen as follows:
- at least 6 units from the elective list
- up to 1 unit from this or any other endorsed Training Package or Accredited Course
AHCBUS610 Manage agribusiness risk
AHCAGB512 Plan and manage infrastructure AHCAGB518 Develop climate risk management strategies AHCAGB607 Manage succession planning AHCAGB608 Manage financial resources AHCAGB610 Manage the production system AHCBUS511 Manage enterprise staff requirements AHCBUS613 Manage human resources AHCMOM601 Analyse machinery options AHCWRK602 Lead and manage community or industry organisations BSBMGT605 Provide leadership across the organisation
All units in the Advanced Diploma of Agribusiness Management are listed here on training.gov.au and are available by RPL.
- 8 units of competency:
Your fee for this course will depend on the the availability of a subsidy from your State and your eligibility. To view a summary of all current course fees and subsidies please click here or contact our office for more information.
VET Student Loan
If you'd like to enrol in this course but can't afford the fees, you may be eligible to use a Vet Student Loan. Vet Student Loans are Australian Government loans that help eligible students pay for all or part of their tuition fees for higher level VET courses (diploma, advanced diploma) undertaken at approved providers. Additional information is available here (VET Student Loans) or by contacting our office or by visiting the government's Study Assist website: https://www.studyassist.gov.au/. A VET student loan gives rise to a HELP debt that continues to be a debt due to the Commonwealth until it is repaid. The maximum amount that can be loaned for this course through the VET Student Loans (VSL) program is $15,793.
Want to make smaller, regular payments throughout your course?
The payment plan option consists of establishing a direct debit facility for payments deducted weekly, fortnightly, monthly or quarterly from your nominated bank account or credit card, across the duration of your enrolment (up to 2 years). There is a $10 establishment fee and a 4% administration charge on all payment plans. The establishment fee is paid in your first instalment and the administration fee becomes part of your scheduled deduction.
Payment plans are administered by DebitSuccess (www.debitsuccess.com.au)
You can make a maximum upfront payment of $1,500 for your student fee while enrolling with any residual processed through the payment plan. Vet Student Loan students may make upfront payments prior to the census date for that unit.
Self-paced online learning
Use resources and information in our online learning site (RuralBiz Online) to work at your own rate, at times that suit you. You will find resources to help you learn including videos, quizzes, print materials and links to other useful websites. This site also has a forum where you can post comments and questions for other participants and your trainer. It will also be the spot to upload your assessments, receive trainer feedback and track your progress.
Interactive online sessions
These are run in our Blackboard Collaborate virtual classroom where you work with a trainer and other participants. You will be able to see a presentation on your computer screen, hear the trainer and other group members, and ask questions or make comments. One of our previous participants described it as being like "two way radio with pictures" but it also has a whiteboard, chat function and many other tools useful for training. Some sessions are also recorded for listening back at a later date. These sessions are usually run on demand when there is a group of at least 10 participants to attend.
Many of our units use a printed manual, giving you time to explore the online learning environments while having familiar materials at hand.
Your assessment tasks are designed for you to apply your learning to your own farm. In many cases, you produce a valuable resource for ongoing use in your own business - such as an e-Farm Plan, business, cropping or livestock plans.
Past students have found that they continue to use and adapt these plans well after they have completed their qualification.
You'll attend an AgForum in each unit - an online informal discussion with other students about day to day issues of interest in agriculture.
At enrolment, we work with you to design an individual training plan that meets your needs and course rules, so you can complete your course within the 2 year timeframe or earlier if you want to progress more quickly.
We know that farmers have busy periods during the year depending on their district and type of farming. We also recognise that family issues mean some students will need time out during their course.
If you find you are unable to keep to your training plan, you can talk to your guardian angel and amend it as needed.
Remember, we're working with you to make your study possible!
- Flexible - self paced online or online group delivery, fit study in with your life.
- Everyone with an internet connection has equal access to training
- Training is delivered to you - wherever you have internet access
- No travel time or travel costs
- Access to online materials 24/7
- Access to the best trainers who are farmers themselves, not just trainers who can visit your district
- Your very own Guardian Angel for support
- Work in groups from a wide geographic area
- Training can continue even if you are travelling or cut off by floods or other natural disasters
- Assessments are submitted online - fast turnaround times
- Student Card - purchase some items at discounted prices
Further Education or Training:
Further training pathways from this Qualification include, but are not limited to:
- Various University Degrees
Note: you may receive credit for some of the units completed in your Diploma or Advanced Diploma qualifications. Contact the University of your choice to find out more.
Employment pathways from this qualification include, but are not limited to:
- Rural and Regional agribusiness manager (including lending managers, insurance brokers, machinery dealers, chemical resellers, stock agents, grain marketers, real estate agents)
- Agricultural enterprise business managers
- Production horticulture enterprise business managers
- Various University Degrees